Fundamental question about.... Questions.

Have a rules question or something you want clarified? Here's the place.

Moderators: Dunthall, razorwise

Fundamental question about.... Questions.

Postby lindan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:56 am

So far I'm having much fun with tremulus.
There is one aspect though which is puzzling me a bit. We, as GMs, are supposed to leave parts of our stories open and formulate questions to be answered by the table.

How are these questions answered?

To be more specific:
tremulus takes inspiration from traditional games as well as from pure storytelling games like Fiasco (which is great fun, but not much "game" at all).

What was the intent regarding how these questions get answered: in a traditional way, i.e. listening to the players' discussion and secretly adapting your scenario accordingly, or do it Fiasco-Style: "You feel that the farmer wants to protect the ghouls in the barn. Why do you think this is the case?"

At the moment I do a mix of both .

I consider the answer fundamental to the way the game is meant to be played. :-)
Questions? Bored? You can Twitter me under @Cthuloid -Oliver
lindan

Re: Fundamental question about.... Questions.

Postby taronstar » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm

While I am not the creator, I would say the answer is that the Keeper should always - "Place Fiction First."

In looking through various chat logs of tremulus sessions I have run and been in, I would say that both approaches are used, sometimes in the same session, and sometimes in the same scene. I think the answer that best applies is, "whatever makes sense to the Keeper at the time the question is asked." It also depends on the play group, as I have seen some wildly varying styles in how the game is played, and I would be lying if I did not say that some styles appealed to me much more than others.

The short answer I would give is, "the game is meant to be played" in such a way that everyone has fun. So if you and everyone else is having fun, then I would say you are doing it right.
Quasi-official Reality Blurs Answer Monkey
taronstar

Return to Clarity