The Life Cycle of the Creative Process
Today, I’m going to talk about the Process. Note the use of capitalization? That’s because I’m rolling up my sleeves for a moment to talk not just about the creative side, but also the analytical side and, in fact, how one may help the other. I’ll keep this short and sweet like a bullet (list) to the back of the neck. You won’t feel a thing.
1. Go to the idea pile and grab armfuls of them.
2. Take your ideas and throw them all away.
3. Except for one. The shiny one there.
4. Work on it and just it.
5. Think about all the things you can do with it.
6. Get back to work on the one idea for the one thing.
7. See it losing its shine?
8. Stick with it. You’re breaking it in.
9. See all the discarded ideas.
10. They all sparkle and want you to hold them.
11. Fight them off.
12. Give them jellybeans and tell them to be patient.
13. Continue to work on the one idea.
14. It struggles in your arms like a newborn.
15. It grins its first grin.
16. It shines anew.
17. Send it out into the world to make friends.
18. Go back to 1.
Until next time, I bid you, dear reader, adieu!